Tuesday, April 10, 2018

xxxHolic

This picture was a real labor of love for me. I recently watched all of xxxHolic & felt inspired to draw Watanuki & Yuuko. Of course I decided to add Mokona because it felt wrong to exclude him.

Yuuko: I took inspiration based on an accent design from an outfit Yuuko wears in an image I found on google then spun that out into this original outfit. Her neckpiece is actually a reference to Spinel Sun from Cardcaptor Sakura which felt appropriate considering Yuuko's ties to Clow Reed & Sakura.

Watanuki: His outfit is more of an original idea I toyed with that compliments Yuuko's outfit. I knew I wanted a lotus to be incorporated somewhere as a reference to a character of mine. Watanuki has a butterfly design around his neck to reference Ruby Moon from Cardcaptor Sakura to tie with Yuuko's Spinel Sun reference.

The Lamp: The genie lamp is a reference to the Hanuman Hammer lamp I designed for a Fire Jinn character. This is also why there is red smoke coming out of the lamp to reference the Jinn while also referencing the red string of fate. When you follow the smoke it leads to the "Om" symbol on a chunk of ice which is a reference to my Frost Giant Ram design who connects back to the Fire Jinn. I wanted to add these easter eggs because xxxHolic had many callbacks in Yuuko's shop to other Clamp series.


No comments:

Post a Comment